The Reading in Le Havre network offers collections and documentary resources which are continuously being enriched and updated. They are aimed at a wide public, from toddlers to adults. They cater to the public's expectations in terms of leisure, finding information and satisfying their curiosity and their desire to understand, to dream, to mature and to find out: press, novels, books on a whole variety of subjects, comic strips, music, films, music scores, video games, DVD-Roms, ebooks, language learning aids, specialised content… . The old, rare and precious documents constitute part of our heritage.
Over 300,000 documents are available to the public at the various locations which make up the Reading in Le Havre network, with a further 30,000 documents reserved for loan to local authorities and over 150,000 heritage documents.
These collections, which are regularly updated, are composed of:
- books (printed books, ebooks, audio-texts on CD): novels, comic strips, essays and documentaries on every subject, from cooking to philosophy, law, health, the arts, travel guides
- and local, national and international newspapers, magazines and reviews.
- Music (CDs and online)
- sheet music
- films (DVDs, Blu-rays, online): films in all genres, documentaries, TV series
- CD-Roms / DVD-Roms, video games
- Language learning aids, aids for self-teaching online.
The libraries and reading centres do not all offer the same services - check the information leaflet for your library or reading centre.
Useful to know: specialised collections:
- to cater to training requirements
As life-long learning becomes increasingly important, the Reading in Le Havre network offers specialised collections to assist in learning initiatives and courses, including support for pupils at school, career and professional guidance, career options, language courses, preparation for civil service examinations and tips on writing a CV.
- for the visually impaired
Large-print books (novels and articles) make reading more comfortable. Public readings of novels, essays, books and tales for children, plays, lectures and interviews give a flavour of high quality text and speech.
Ebooks, music, films, aids for learning a language, and help in revising or preparing for civil service examinations or learning the highway code are accessible online: you can access some of these resources remotely, from your home. Others can only be consulted within the Reading in Le Havre network..
- Le Havre and the surrounding region
The Normandy collections (Bibliothèque A. Salacrou) include heritage documents and contemporary collections on Le Havre and Normandy - over 2,000 books and 21 reviews are freely accessible, and over 12,000 books and 205 reviews are in store and delivered upon request.
- in foreign languages press and books in foreign languages are available at certain libraries: consult the information leaflet for your library or reading centre.